GIFC v Bardykes Rovers

Glasgow Irish FC v Bardykes RoversHealth Rewards Cup Round 2.

14:15 kick off at Scotstoun Sports Complex.

Sunday 22nd January 2017.

The Irish were in cup competition for the second week running against Bardykes Rovers who sit joint second in their division. GIFC were looking to gather back some lost pride having been on the end of an 8-1 hammering at the hands of Premier champions and current leaders Castlemilk Dynamo the previous week.

The Irish came out of the traps fast and deployed a high pressing game early doors. Strikers Gerry Hughes and Mark Paterson coming closest with early chances.

Top scorer Connor Jack broke the deadlock on 21 mins when he cut inside of the wing and curled a right foot shot into the far top corner. Another great goal from the youngster. 1-0.

Number two came from Mark Paterson when he bundled the ball home from a dangerous corner kick on 29 mins. 2-0.

Gerry Hughes hit the bar from a header and Tony Owens smashed a shot off the post while Shaun Munro and Cameron Mooney also came close to adding to the Irish lead.

Tony Owens then showed why he had warranted a starting slot when he bravely put his head where most wouldn’t put a foot in and won the Irish a penalty with 32 min on the clock. The midfielder causing Bardykes problems the whole first half. Connor Jack stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way to maintain his 100% penalty record. 3-0.

On 37 mins the game was over as a contest when Mark Paterson crashed a shot off the bar which John Biggins gathered on the rebound and sent a cool finish beyond the visiting keeper. 4-0.

HT 4-0.

The Irish started the second half with some changes. Josh Reilly replacing the excellent Tony Owens and Sean Belton replacing captain Stephen Cairns. Mark Cleary being handed the armband for the second half.

Goal number 5 arrived when Connor Jack latched onto a cross from the right and fired the ball home for his hat trick. 5-0.

Shaun Munro then got in on the scoring action with number 6. Some fast moving play down the left ended with the midfielder sweeping the ball home for his 8th of the season. A well deserved goal from the playmaker. 6-0.

Mark Paterson broke free down the right only to be hauled to the ground as he drew back to shoot. Connor Jack took the resulting penalty and got his fourth goal of the game and number 23 in 18 games when he chipped the penalty into the net. 7-0.

Richard McCabe, Ross Marshall and Stephen Cleary replaced Cameron Mooney, Mark Paterson and Gerrard Hughes and it was Stephen Cleary who rounded off the scoring when after a great turn in the box the striker lofted the ball over the keeper to add to his impressive goals tally. 8-0.

FT 8-0.

Man of the match today was Connor Jack closely followed by John Biggins.

All round the Irish were impressive and could have easily doubled the scoreline had they been more ruthless in front of goal. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s