GIFC Team 1 v GIFC Team 2

Glasgow Irish Team 1 v Glasgow Irish Team 2
Friendly Match

Scotstoun Stadium Rear 4G
A free week from league duties gave the Irish a chance to give the entire squad a run out in what proved to be a highly entertaining game. Chairman Kenny Paterson had hand picked a team he thought could cause some problems for the one chosen by the GIFC management. 

This game also gave some game time to new recruits Grant Harold and Josh Reilly who both impressed on the day. 

Team 1 started the brighter of the two sides and almost took the lead when Kieran Nicol fired over from outside the box. 

Team 2 were dangerous going forward however and after some driving play from Munro in midfield they took the lead as he squared for Josh Reilly to pass the ball beyond Griffing into the net. 0-1. 

This fired Team 1 into action and Kieran Nicol equalised driving the ball past Barr from just inside the penalty area. 1-1. 

Mark Paterson then sent over a superb corner kick which found Martin Rice who sent the ball into the roof of he net with a powerful header. 2-1. 

Sean Belton drew things level when a poor clearance out of defence by Mulgrew fell to him 25 yards from goal. He sent a half volley into the top corner to punish such poor defending. A great goal. 2-2. 

HT 2-2. 

Team 1 went in front just after half time when a clearance from keeper Barr landed at the feet of Martin Rice 35 yards from goal. The big striker took the ball first time and sent the ball high into the net for a finish of real quality. 3-2. 

The game followed the same pattern as the first half when Ryan Owens showed great instinct to crash the ball home after clever play from Biggins and Munro in midfield. 3-3. 

The next goal went to Team 1 as Rice completed his hat trick. Mulgrew sent over an inviting cross and Rice rose above the Team 2 defence to smash a header across goal giving keeper Barr no chance. 4-3. 

Centre half Gerry Hughes then produced a goal of outstanding quality when after picking the ball up in his own half he strode forward, played a one-two with Kieran Nicol and kept a cool head to find the bottom corner. 5-3. 

This spurred Team 2 on though and they replied when Shaun Munro kept up his scoring run in recent games with a smart finish after a scramble in the penalty area. 5-4. 

The game was over as a contest though when Tony Owens collected the ball 25 yards from goal and dispatched a wonder strike past Barr into the top corner of the net. 6-4. 

Connor Jack pulled a goal back in the final minute for Team 2 with a composed finish. 6-5. 

FT 6-5. 

Man of the match Martin Rice closely followed by Grant Harold. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s